What is a compare and contrast question?
A compare-and-contrast essay analyzes two subjects by either comparing them, contrasting them, or both. The purpose of writing a comparison or contrast essay is not to state the obvious but rather to illuminate subtle differences or unexpected similarities between two subjects.
How do you answer comparison questions?
Command words are important and you should check carefully exactly what the question is actually asking for. If a question asks you to ‘compare’, all you need to do is point out similarities and differences, which means you don’t need to go into the detail of an ‘explain’ question.
Can you start a sentence with in contrast?
“In contrast” is usually followed by “to” or “with” and requires a noun to follow it. “By contrast” is usually followed or preceded by the subject of the sentence. Examples: In contrast to the diligent bee, the butterfly flies hither and yon with no apparent purpose.
Which sentence shows a contrast of ideas?
Use a comma or semicolon (;) with ‘but’. ‘But’ is the most common way to show contrasting ideas. They continued on their journey, in spite of the pouring rain. They continued on their journey, despite the pouring rain.
How do you compare and contrast articles?
- Overview. A compare and contrast paper discusses the similarities and differences between two or more topics.
- Address Both Similarities and Differences.
- Make Sure You Have a Clear Thesis Statement.
- Use Clear Transitions.
- Structure Your Paper.
- Include Analysis.
- Make Analogous Comparisons.
- Related Webinar.
How do you analyze contrast?
Analysing contrast is not scary!…
- Step 1: Read the text and identify any contrasts. You need to look for any oppositional or different ideas, images, characters, objects etc…
- Step 2: Examine what is being contrasted.
- Step 3: Figure the effect.
- Step 4: Put your findings in a T.E.E.L paragraph.
What is another way to say in contrast?
What is another word for in contrast?
|on the other hand||contrastingly|
|by contrast||on the contrary|
|in reverse||or rather|